Numenta is tackling one of the most important scientific challenges of all time: reverse engineering the neocortex. Studying how the brain works helps us understand the principles of intelligence and build machines that work on the same principles. We believe that understanding how the neocortex works is the fastest path to machine intelligence, and creating intelligent machines is important for the continued success of humankind.
Thousand Brains Theory of Intelligence
In October 2018 we released a major new theory for intelligence and cortical computation. We have several resources available for you to learn more.
- Research paper introducing the theory: A Framework for Intelligence and Cortical Function Based on Grid Cells in the Neocortex
- Companion paper that describes the theory in non-scientific terms: Companion to A Framework for Intelligence and Cortical Function
- Two papers that include detailed network models about core components of the theory: A Theory of How Columns in the Neocortex Enable Learning the Structure of the World and Locations in the Neocortex: A Theory of Sensorimotor Object Recognition Using Cortical Grid Cells
- An educational video that walks through some of the main ideas: HTM School Episode 15: Framework for Intelligence
- A screencast of Jeff Hawkins’ Human Brain Project Open Day keynote: Jeff Hawkins Human Brain Project screencast
- New York Times story on co-founder Jeff Hawkins and our work: Jeff Hawkins Is Finally Ready to Explain His Brain Research