Jeff was invited by Loup Ventures as a guest in its Braintech podcast series. Loup Ventures is a venture capital firm that publishes research on AI, robotics, virtual reality, and augmented reality. In this podcast, Jeff talks about intelligence and what led to his inspiration to study the brain. He describes Numenta’s biological approach and how it differs from other deep learning techniques as a path to truly intelligent machines. He also shares his opinion on a variety of AI topics and what he’s learned since writing On Intelligence.
- [1:26] Jeff talks about what led to his inspiration to combine neuroscience and computer science.
- [2:23] Jeff talks about the goal and vision for Numenta.
- [3:20] Numenta’s progress and timeline for understanding the brain and the history of becoming a brain theorist.
- [4:50] How Numenta is different than other deep learning techniques.
- [6:35] Jeff talks about how he defines intelligence.
- [8:40] Jeff talks about how he defines consciousness versus intelligence.
- [9:38] The current interpretation of human consciousness and why fear of AI is irrational.
- [11:45] AI as an existential threat to humanity and the importance of understanding how brains work.
- [14:01] Jeff shares his main takeaways on what he has learned from writing On Intelligence over the past 10 years.
- [16:00] How do you translate research into a salable product?
- [19:50] Rapid fire question round with Jeff.