Who we are
- Numenta is a small team of scientists and engineers working on one of
science’s grand challenges: how the brain works and how brain
principles will be used in Machine Intelligence.
What we do
- We are reverse engineering the neocortex. We publish our progress in
scientific journals and create software simulations to test our
theories. Everything we do is publicly disclosed and available in an
open source form.
- We have built a large IP/patent portfolio. We offer several types of
licenses. Our IP will become increasingly essential as machine
learning and AI adopt brain principles.
- We have made several fundamental discoveries so far. These include:
- How neurons make predictions and detect anomalies.
- How layers of neurons learn sequences of patterns.
- How multiple layers of neurons learn to recognize objects via movement.
Our latest discovery: sensorimotor integration
- In 2016 we discovered a “missing ingredient”. All areas of the
neocortex assign their input to a “location" in the external world.
This explains how we learn through movement and perceive a rich model
of the world and the objects in it. This is a major addition to
existing neuroscience thinking and it will have a large impact on how
we design intelligent machines.
What it means for machine intelligence
- Today’s machine learning technologies are extremely limited compared
to human intelligence. To overcome these limitations, intelligent
machines need to work on the same principles as the brain. Intelligent
machines patterned after the brain will be able to solve many
important problems. Numenta is far ahead of any other team in this
effort to create true machine intelligence.