- Numenta is reverse-engineering the neocortex to solve one of science’s grand challenges: how the brain works.
What We Do
- We are a team of scientists and engineers led by Jeff Hawkins. We create and publish theories in scientific journals, test them through software simulations, and collaborate with experimental neuroscientists. Everything we do is publicly disclosed and available in open source.
- We’ve made a series of discoveries–from how the brain represents information to how neurons make predictions and detect anomalies to how entire cortical columns learn to model objects through movement. Our work is filling in the pieces of the common cortical circuit, which underlines all of intelligence.
What Makes Us Unique
- We are one of the few teams developing large scale theories of the brain that are biologically constrained, testable and implemented in software. We believe our theories will be foundational to the creation of Artificial General Intelligence (AGI).
How Our Research Will Impact the Future of Machine Intelligence
- Today’s machine learning technologies are limited compared to human intelligence. Intelligent machines patterned after the brain will be able to solve many important problems that aren’t being addressed by today’s AI. Numenta is a leader in this approach.
- We license our intellectual property for commercial applications.